“Overcoming difficulties leads to courage, self-respect, and knowing yourself.”
~ Alfred Adler
Fitzgerald Counseling – Paul J. Fitzgerald, PsyD
Welcome to the website for my clinical psychology and counseling practice. I have been a mental health practitioner since 1995, providing employee assistance counseling and general psychotherapy.
At this time (August 2020) I have limited availability for new clients. Please call to inquire about my availability. The self-scheduling function on my website is currently not available for client use.
I will be scheduling clients ONLY using telehealth services until the COVID-19 spread has been better contained in Illinois. Please check back periodically to see if this has changed.
I provide telehealth using the Simple Practice app which is secure, private, and HIPAA-compliant.
Please click the “Telehealth Services” link in the site menu for more information.
The Department of Transportation has recently relaxed their requirement that all SAP evaluations must be conducted in person. These evaluations will be done via tele-health until further notice. For more information please click on the “SAP Evaluations” tab above.
Please note that the fee for SAP or DAC (Railroad) evaluations remains at $475, payable at the time of the first evaluation.
ABOUT ME: Paul J. Fitzgerald, Psy.D.
(708) 695-8646 (Voice, no text)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
- Certified Employee Assistance Professional
- Master Addiction Counselor
Paul Fitzgerald is a clinical psychologist, counselor, and psychotherapist with over 20 years experience working with adults, adolescents, children, couples and families. He has worked in the Employee Assistance field as a counselor and clinical director. Prior to his EAP work, he also worked in inpatient psychiatric services and community mental health.
Dr. Fitzgerald entered this field because he has long been intrigued by the ways we as human beings see the world, and how our perceptions of ourselves, others, and our world guide our behavior and mood. Dr. Fitzgerald has two offices, in downtown Chicago (available weekdays in the afternoon and some mornings) and a part-time office in Hinsdale, on the Cook-DuPage County line (available Fridays and Saturday mornings). When appointments are available, they may be booked online through this website at www.fitzgeraldcounseling.com.
Please note: There are currently no times available through this button. Please call for availability.
I enjoy working with clients from all walks of life, and specialize in working with adults. I have experience working with professionals who are experiencing challenges due to substance use, relationship problems, work stress, and other issues. I have worked with laborers, tradespeople, financial services professionals, physicians, lawyers, university professors, researchers, and attorneys. I have extensive experience assisting individuals with substance use disorders through assessment and referral to treatment, monitoring, follow-up, and relapse prevention.
In my work, I make use of cognitive-behavioral and Adlerian principles to help clients understand and change the self-defeating patterns of thinking, behavior, and communication that may be contributing to their distress. I earned a certificate in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy from Adler School of Professional Psychology.
Both Adlerian and Cognitive-behavioral therapy emphasize encouragement and support, while helping people to be more aware of (and to change) their beliefs and perceptions about themselves, other people, the world, and life circumstances.
I have been a faculty member and Training Director at Adler University’s Chicago campus, where I have taught graduate-level courses in Adlerian psychology, counseIing theories, addiction counseling, Adlerian Parenting, the Adlerian Life Style Assessment technique, ethical issues, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and research methods. I currently still teach and supervise graduate students in the counseling and clinical psychology programs.
Professional affiliations and activities:
- Certificate in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Adler University
- Certified Employee Assistance Professional (Employee Assistance Credentialing Commission)
- Master Addiction Counselor (NAADAC, The Certification Organization for Addiction Professionals)
- National Certified Counselor (National Board of Certified Counselors).
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (Illinois)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist (Illinois)
- President, 2018-2020, Northern Illinois Chapter, Employee Assistance Professionals Association
- Commissioner, 2017-2020, Employee Assistance Credentialing Commission
- American Counseling Association
- Association of Counselor Educators and Supervisors
- American Psychological Association
- Employee Assistance Professionals Association
- National Board of Certified Counselors
- NAADAC – The Certification Agency for Addiction Professionals
- Illinois Counseling Association
- Illinois Mental Health Counselors Association
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology
- American Association of University Professors
This website is also my blog, where I regularly post entries for viewing by anyone who has an interest in counseling, psychotherapy, or mental health. You can access these entries by clicking on any of the categories or monthly archives lists (at the bottom of the page), or by simply clicking the “Blog” link in the main menu to view all recent entries. You can use the buttons on each blog page to share, save or print these articles if you wish. You can also leave comments on each post page.
Website Services Marketers Please Note!
I (Paul) maintain this website myself, and enjoy doing it. I already get all the referrals I can handle. Please don’t contact me about website services, increasing traffic, SEO, or related products or services you may be selling. I will not respond!